Monday, March 26, 2012

Day Glow, Four-loco, Spring Break's a Mess!

And We're Back! Over the past week, I've been living up Spring Break in Panama City Beach Florida and.......Well it's been awesome! Now, I usually enjoy attempting to provide some sort of standard of content in my blog posts if not a standard of tone, which I'll admit sounds less and less professional as I write more and more. Anywho, seeing as the content of this post consists of subject matter which occurred while on break from academia, it seems necessary to evaluate any anecdotes which may proceed this paragraph as contents unrelated to that noble pursuit! (In essence, don't judge me for what I'm about to tell you hahah.)

OK. Keep calm. Here we go. So the premise of this entire post was supposed to be about the influence of classical music on a genre known as Dubstep (If your completely unfamiliar with dubstep search Skrillex. About 30 seconds is when you can really hear what dubstep is all about.) I was very, very excited because over the spring break, I was scheduled to attend Day Glow!, a ridiculous dance party involving paint, dubstep, other types of dance music/electronica, more paint, and hopefully some classical music influences. A friend of mine sent me a trailer for the event, and low and behold.....Carmina Burana (again don't judge me). Seems, classical music was at the very least, playing the role it often plays in modern culture, that of a soundtrack. It's used here to heighten the general AWESOMENESS!!! of the event (note, that is the scientific term).

At this point, it seems necessary to express the following events in a rhetorical form which has been permeating DirectTV adds for the past several months:

"When your a last semester senior and feel overworked, your fraternity brothers convince you to go on spring break. When you go on spring break, you get excited for Dayglow. When you get excited for Dayglow, you celebrate by drinking four-loco on the beach. When you drink four-loco on the beach, you leave Dayglow early before any of the music plays.

Don't leave Dayglow early before any of the music Plays"


And as such, I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of any classical music influences at Dayglow or within the dubstep genre of music. Womp. womp. But, had I been there, and had I heard the music, I would assume it was a perfect blend of classical composition and the sounds your computer made in the 90's while connecting to AOL, I hope it would have sounded something like this. Oh and with paint :) 

3 comments:

  1. Only 30 seconds to figure out what dub step is? WUBWUBWUBWBUB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't they have Day Glow come to DC as well? Sounds like you hd quite an exciting break!

    PS is there anyway you could make the text box more opaque? This transparent one is a little difficult to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I find it fascinating that classical music still has that relevance, but it has to be tinkered around with to fit a youthful audience. I feel like if classical music didn't have that weird culture of listening - quietly, sitting down, with no clapping until the end - it could still be exciting and enthralling, dance-worthy and everything. I feel if it dropped some of its trappings, it could dominate again, or at least be in a more popular standing than it is.

    ReplyDelete